Lil’ Roots Garden Club
by Jasmine Thrasybule
When I was younger, I used to help my grandparents grow all different kinds of flowers and produce.
Doing that made me feel knowledgeable and wise, because at the young age of eight, I was doing something amazing with my grandparents!
Gardening with people that understand what your goal is, and that want to see you succeed, is a beautiful thing.
Not a lot of kids today can say they have that.
Benefits of Gardening
Gardening provides different kinds of engagement for children such as designing, planting, and maintaining gardens; harvesting, preparing, and sharing food.
“When third to fifth grade students who participated in a one-year gardening program filled out a survey of life skills, they showed a significant increase in self-understanding and the ability to work in groups compared to nonparticipating students” (Robinson & Zajicek, 2005).
What They Will Learn
Lil’ Roots Garden Club offers educational skills including:
- Responsibility – from caring for plants
- Understanding – as they learn about cause and effect ( for example: plants die without water; weeds compete with plants)
- Self-confidence – from achieving their goals and enjoying the food they have grown.
- Love of nature – a change to learn about the outdoor environment in a safe and pleasant place.
- Reasoning and discovery – learning about the science of plants, animals, weather, environment, nutrition and simple construction.
Keep in Mind
Gardening is a fun and healthy activity for children.
At Lil’ Roots your child will develop new skills for everyday use; from simply taking responsibility of what’s theirs to gaining confidence in themselves.
Kids here will have fun growing their own produce, being in charge of what they like, and using their creative imagination to design how they want their signs and garden to look.
Also keep in mind that in the Lil’ Roots Garden Club, your child will receive exercise and will be kept active.
Ready to enroll? Great, just go to this page (after Sept 12th, when we open our enrollment) and follow the instructions. It is quick, easy and secure.
Please feel free to contact us Here or call the office at 702-636-4152.